Saturday 23 May 2015

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

When I was fourteen I found out about this. It was in 2005. I found this film in my neighbours' house. Then began my secret love of vampires. Well I say secret, but me and my friend from school used to try to write vampire horrors' only to have them turn out really rubbish. The one time my english teacher snached our little book of stories and read them to the whole class *cringe* I can still hear the laughter now. Imagine living forever. The only down is I'm actually squeamish ha ha ha. They are by far my favourite creature to ever roam the horror genre. This is the book and film that made them so. I mean there is an endless possibility to what an author can write about them. Anne Rice is BRILLIANT! Like come on a vampire going to a journalist? HA HA AMAZING! Imagine the guts that boy has to interview a predator.
This is the story of Louis who was once an ordinary man living in an ordinary plantation. Until meeting the vampire Lastat. The cruel Lastat. Who killed for revenge. Who had no mercy. This book never gets dull, not once. I love reading about lives. How people end up in them, how certain things change and so on. Which in itself is a bit weird for reading a vampire novel but and that is a big but, the life changes these go through is stunning. Imagine the amount of life they have, regardless of technically being dead. From when Louis was changed in 1791 up to the present you get the image of time changing. He becomes bitter at what he is, and starts to drink rats blood. He blames Lastat for everything. Then there is Claudia (a little girl whose mother gets killed and she gets turned into a vampire. Over the years she grows mentally but never in form. I liked this from Anne Rice (a lot of vampires do not seem mentally grown throughout the years in most novels) Whereas Claudia starts to want Louis being a women and more mentally, which he can't stand (after all she is just a little girl.)
This book is definitely worth the time. You will not regret listening to me when I say.... GO AND READ IT if you have not already read it that is. Then of course there is the rest of the books by Anne, The Vampire Lastat is one of my favs. She brings such a sense of living while not living that I can't help but love her world even while they are all dead. The characters each are slightly insane in their own ways and lovable in others.
Her writing takes you to another place, in another time, where you feel you are there stood watching this happen. One of my favourite authors most certainly. Go ahead what are you waiting for.


No comments:

Post a Comment