Thursday 7 May 2015

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I'm so into history. I can totally get why people would want to be history professors and so on. History is a magic all on it's own!! I can't really complain about this novel. I voted for it and all sorts *fist pump* I love every character in this whole series although I have to say Gallowglass is my most favourite. A little traitorous part of me wanted Diana (a witch with a problem) to end up with him instead of Matthew (a rich as hell vampire with an attitude problem) *shocker* No really that is no lie. I love him that much! If you don't, you haven't read these books specifically shadow of night......
It begins with absence and desire.
It begins with blood and fear.
It begins with a discovery of witches.
I love it!
There would be 2 things I personally would of changed. For a start sometimes Diana acts like a child when her mother and father are involved and for me that is not how any grown woman would behave even if your parents were murdered (I can get past this, block it out even and pretend it was not written...) Second thing is yoga, yoga you ask? Well Vampires, witches and daemons doing yoga together? OH COME ON ENOUGH!! Falling in love I can get maybe but YOGA? haha. Every single thing else in this book I love. From getting to know them all to Diana learning how to control her gifts. I love history, history is a brilliant starter for any story, there is so much to choose from, so much to write.
Any way i'm rambling on.... It starts in Oxford's Bodleian Library (any book lover is screaming inside right now) *SCREAMINGGGG* Diana is a witch, she has also found a missing manuscript. It looks and feels odd. Everything about it is strange. Slowly each day the library starts to fill up with creatures. Creatures who know the manuscript has resurfaced. (Including Matthew (who don't love him?) ) She ends up thrown into a love affair with a vampire who started to protect her even though he was meant to get his hands on the book himself. I could actually write about this book all day so again I have to stop myself before I ruin it for anyone who has not read it. I think it could of done with a bit of shortening, I found towards the end I couldn't sit still, that is normally me irritated. I should not of been irritated. The worst part of this is the end actually is the best bit. Diana using magic which she has denied for the whole book. So it must be because of the length of getting to it that coursed this for me (no, that can't be it either. This whole book is eventful, including a trip to an oubliette and evil witches with a torture plan.). God just go and read it for yourself and tell me what you thought.......

No comments:

Post a Comment